October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, this is a perfect time to remind women about the importance of mammograms and early detection.
According to the National Cancer Instiutute, there were an estimated 266,000 new cases of breast cancer so far in 2018 and over 40,000 deaths.
A more encouraging statistic is the percentage of breast cancer patients surviving five years after treatment: almost 90%. (For the years 2008-2014.)
Approximately 12.4 percent of women will be diagnosed with female breast cancer at some point during their lifetime, based on 2013-2015 data.
In 2015, there were an estimated 3,418,124 women living with female breast cancer in the United States.
What is breast cancer?
Breast cancer is a type of cancer that forms in the breast when abnormalcells turn into cancer. Breast cancer can spread to other parts of the body.
Talk with your doctor or nurse if you notice any of these changes:
- A lump or an area that feels very firm in the breast or armpit
- A change in size, shape, or feel of the breast
- Fluid (called discharge) coming out of a nipple
- Skin on the breast that is itchy, red, flaky, or dimpled
What if the doctor finds something wrong with my breast?
Mammograms let the doctor or nurse look for lumps inside your breasts that can’t be felt. If a lump is found, you may need other tests to find out if it’s cancer or not.
The doctor or nurse may take a small bit of tissue from the lump for testing, a biopsy.
At South West OB–GYN location in Sugarland Texas. We help coordinate all the services you may need, from primary care to specialized care for chronic conditions or reproductive health.
How are we celebrating ?
This year instead of having our Halloween Contest we are going to combine a few things we celebrate all in one. Since, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the start of Fall, we will be decorating pumpkins. SWOGA will provide a pumpkin for each group. The pumpkins will be delivered by September 20th giving each group 2 weeks to decorate before they’re displayed in our waiting rooms.
- All pictures submitted by end of day Wednesday, October 9th.
- Voting will be Thursday, October 10th through Thursday, October 17th
- Winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will be announced Friday, October 18th
10 groups for pumpkin decorating contest
- Central Billing
- Insurance Verification / Medical Records
- Call Center
- Triage Nurses
- Suite 200 Small Nurse Station
- Front Desk
- Suite 200 Large Nurse Station
- Suite 230 Nurse Stations